- 1 shortbread crust
- Lemon Confit:
- 100g lemon juice (1/2 cup)
- 3g agar-agar
- 10g sugar (1tbsp)
- Lemon Custard:
- 140g lemon juice (2/3 cup)
- 80g sugar (⅓ cup+ 1tbsp)
- 4g gelatine
- 80g butter (⅓ cup)
- 2 lemon zests
- Italian Meringue:
- 50g egg whites
- 40g water (3tbsp)
- 125g sugar (⅔ cup)
Here we go you guys! Your ALL-TIME Instagram favorite! The Lemon Meringue Tart – funny enough though this isn’t my fav haha – let get started with the recipe ?
Lemon Meringue Tart
Prep: 1h | Rest: 1h | Cooking: 15min| 8 persons
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/355°F
- Roll out your shortbread dough into the mold of your choice and make holes at the bottom using a fork.
- Bake for about 15 minutes at 180°C/355°F
For the Lemon Confit:
- Mix the agar with the sugar in a bowl. Pour the lemon juice in the pan, once the juice is steaming add at once your agar-agar/sugar mixture.
- Mix with a whisk and cook at a boil for about a minute. Then transfer to a bowl and let cool in the refrigerator.
For the Lemon Custard:
- Hydrate the gelatin in a bowl of cold water. In a bowl mix the eggs with the sugar. In a saucepan bring the lemon juice and the zest to a boil. Pour in the egg/sugar mixture and whisking vigorously.
- Pour everything back over the heat and cook until the first boil (at the first plop). Remove from the heat and add the gelatin and butter. Mix with a whisk and if necessary, with a mixer to remove any lumps.
- In your baked tart shell, spread your lemon confit and then the lemon cream. Keep in the fridge for at least 30min.
The Italian Meringue:
- Pour the egg whites into the bowl of the robot with the whisk.
- In a saucepan pour the water and the sugar. Heat up to a temperature of 114°C/237°F. At that moment, beat the egg whites at full power.
- When the syrup reaches 118°C/245°F pour it over the egg whites while continuing to beat at maximum speed. Continue whipping until the mixer bowl is cold.
- Spread the meringue on your pie either with a spoon or with a piping bag and the tip of your choice!
Come over to Instagram if you have questions!
Have you tried this recipe? Tag me on Instagram @bakingoverseas / #bakingoverseas so I can see it ?