- 250g flour (2cups)
- 5g salt (3/4 tsp)
- 30g sugar ( 2 & 1/3 tbsp)
- 60ml water
- 70ml milk
- 4g dry yeast
- 25g butter (1 3/4 tbsp)
- 150g (2/3 cup) of butter (82%Fat minimum)
Here we go! I’m so happy to share the homemade french croissants recipe with you. Is it a little more advanced than usual, ready? Let’s go!
Homemade French Croissants
Prep: 1h | Proofing : 2h | Rest: 2h | Cooking : 18min | 8 Croissants
- Warm up the milk and water in the microwave for a few seconds
- In your stand mixer bowl pour the yeast and add the water/milk mixture.
- In a bowl prepare the flour, salt and sugar. Mix these 3 ingredients with a spoon (this is to prevent the yeast from coming into direct contact with salt and sugar)
- Then pour everything into the stand mixer bowl and add the 25g of melted butter.
- Mix everything with the hook attachment on speed 1 until the dough comes off the edges. Then mix 6 min at speed 4.
- Take a bowl, put a little flour in it and place your dough covered with a cloth. Leave on for 30 min at room temperature.
- After 30 min, remove the gas from the dough with your hand. Flour your work surface, and spread your dough in a square of 30cmx30cm approximately. Film it and leave it in the refrigerator for 30 min.
- Take your 150g of butter and place it in the center of a sheet of parchment paper. Fold everything into a square of about 15cmx15cm and spread your butter inside to make it flat.
- Once the butter is flat, take your dough from the fridge, and put your butter in the center of it. Then cover it by folding the 4 corners of the dough towards the center. Your butter must be well trapped.
- Film everything and place in the refrigerator for 30 min.
- Spread your dough evenly in a rectangle, it should be 3 times longer than wide.
- Perform 3 simple turns. To make a simple turn fold the third of the lower dough then the third of the upper dough over it. Turn it a quarter to the right and proceed to the 2nd round, do exactly the same then go to the 3rd round.
- I highly advise you to let your dough rest between the different turns in your fridge, it’s much easier if it is very cold.
- After the 3 turns, let your dough rest in the freezer for about 20 min.
- After 20 min, take out your dough, flour a work surface and spread your dough into a rectangle 2 mm thick.
- Cut the edges of your dough so that the edges are straight and detail triangles of 12 cm by 20 cm
- Make a small incision at the base of the croissant to make it easier to roll and roll!
- Once your croissants are shaped, place them on a baking sheet with parchment paper and let them proof for about 2 hours (it depends on the temperature at home, the croissants must be 1/3 bigger post proofing)
- When they are, preheat your oven to 180 ° C/355°F, eggwash your croissants 2 times with an egg yolk and bake for 18 min (depending on your oven and the size of your croissants – watch constantly)
- Let it cool down and enjoy!
Come over to Instagram if you have questions!
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE? TAG ME ON INSTAGRAM @BAKINGOVERSEAS / #BAKINGOVERSEAS SO I CAN SEE IT ?